The project aims at the implementation, expansion and further development of the voucher system under the Social Health Protection Programme in Cambodia. The vouchers will cover services for safe motherhood, family planning, safe abortions, child health, cataract and cervical cancer screening in three provinces. Recently, important services on nutrition have been integrated. The voucher scheme is expected to achieve the following objectives and outputs:
1) to promote and improve access to specific reproductive health and nutrition services for poor and vulnerable women as an integrated and complementary financing instrument to existing health equity funds and community based health insurance schemes;
2) to contribute to the achievement of the Cambodian Millennium Development Goals;
3) to improve quality of care of public and non-public health services providers through enhanced demand-side subsidies and purchasing power of poor patients, and
4) to strengthen vital elements in the development of an effective social health protection system (i.e. quality assurance, accreditation, output-based reimbursement mechanisms, inclusion of non-public providers).
EPOS Health Management is implementing the voucher scheme in consortium with the Cambodian NGO Action for Health
EPOS is managing a disposition fund of 6.8 Mio Euro.
The implementation tasks of the VMA contain the following:
- Increase access to high quality reproductive health and nutrition services, focusing on safe deliveries, long-term family planning, on confidential and safe comprehensive clinical abortion services and quality nutrition
Select and determine future project beneficiaries based on developed criteria for the identification of the poor (ID Poor).
Select and identify suitable service providers.
Develop and implement a suitable voucher distribution system, which will include effective communication and marketing strategies, awareness campaigns, advocacy for this project approach.
Install the financial management system that includes prudent management of the disposition fund, implementation of a system to process and reimburse Voucher Service Provider claims timely, development and implementation of a financial and fraud control system.
Develop an adequate supply and procurement.
Introduce a monitoring and evaluation system.