KfW in its role as a promotional bank of Germany was planning to finance a hospital expansion project in the People’s Republic of China under the China Investment Programme that was part of Sino-German Financial Co-operation, and to improve the medical equipment procurement preparation through the employment of a qualified consultant.
The hospital project under preparation concerned the relocation and expansion of the Xingtai Ophthalmic Hospital (Hebei Province) as Project Agency for a total investment amount of approximately EUR 60 million partially to be financed through a KfW Promotional Loan of EUR 17 million.
1. Assist the hospital in the definition of technological standards for medical equipment to ensure that state-of-the-art high-quality equipment was procured with high cost-efficiency. In this regard, the consultant gave comments and advice on technical specifications for medical equipment items based on the specifications that were prepared by the hospital and the design bureau (window company) and on their knowledge of European, esp. German equipment.
2. Advise the hospital in the definition of training needs, supply contract shortcomings, acceptance procedures and tender documents.
3. Participate - upon special request - on the bid opening session(s) as an observer and extend assistance and advice. Additional costs caused by this service will be charged additionally.
The hospital was supported in the preparation and implementation of the projects by an independent window company. The assistance and advice offered in this short-term consultancy was therefore based primarily on documents already prepared by the windows company. All documents were provided in English and Chinese.
Expected Results / Deliverables
1. Recommendations made to the Project-Executing Agency should be documented in Minutes of Meeting to be signed at the end of the site visit. KfW received a signed copy (scan) immediately upon return of the consultant.
2. A brief report containing the summary of recommendations was sent to the Project-Executing Agency and to KfW.
3. The detailed procurement list was sent to the Project-Executing Agency and to KfW.