The German Government has been supporting the implementation of a safe blood transfusion programme within the framework of the financial cooperation (FC) with the Islamic Republic of Pakistan since 2010. During Phase I of the programme, 10 Regional Blood Centres (RBCs) have been constructed other than equipping another 60 Hospital Based Blood Banks (HBBBs) in the provinces of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Gilgit-Baltistan, Punjab, Sind and Baluchistan and in the state of Asad Jammu & Kashmir. Based on a feasibility study conducted in 2013, under Phase II of the project, the German Government has committed an additional 10 million Euro to build further upon the achievements of Phase I.
The overall objective of the FC component of Phase II of the project is to provide better access to the population of Pakistan to safe blood transfusion services and blood products. The FC consists of investment measures for civil works and equipment related to the construction/ rehabilitation and upgradation of 5 RBCs and 10 HBBBs while the investment accompanying measures comprise the establishment of management information systems (MIS) and waste management systems for the concerned RBCs and HBBBs other than user training and capacity building of the concerned staff.
The consultant is providing assistance to the Ministry of National Health Services Regulations & Coordination (M/o NHS,R&C) as well as the Departments of Health (DoHs) of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Islamabad Capital Territory and Gilgit-Baltistan amongst others in project execution and management. The activities under investment and accompanying measures cover:
- Needs assessment for infrastructure, equipment, MIS, waste management and capacity building/ training
- Selection of 10 HBBs to be converted into RBCs
- Preparation of functional planning and design of the RBCs
- Tendering, contracting and supervision of construction works
- Support during the defects liability period and handing over of the facilities
- Planning, specification preparation, tendering, contracting, delivery, pre-installation works, supervision of user/ maintenance trainings and handing over of medical and non-medical equipment including waste management for the RBCs
- Procurement, delivery, installation, testing and handing over of MIS
- Development of maintenance systems for infrastructure and equipment along with corresponding training programmes aimed at capacity building of concerned blood bank staff
- Support to the Project Management Units (PMUs) in financial administration and reporting